Data Reward Nigeria

Ads

Ondo State: Akeredolu lifts curfew, sues for calm 

Spread the gist

On Friday evening, Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, has lifted the 24-hour curfew earlier imposed in the state. Earlier this week, a lot has been happening asides the peaceful #EndSARS protest. Thugs had hijacked the #EndSARS protests against police brutality to perpetrate havoc in various states. The hoodlums had attacked a prison in several states, freeing inmates, burning down of several police stations, stealing and demolition of business premises which are owned by government and private bodies . This was contained in a statement issued by the state Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Doanld Ojogo. The statement says, “The decision to lift the curfew follows consultations between the Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN and security chiefs in the state after a preliminary assessment of the security situation in the state. “The relative peace in the state capital, Akure appears very encouraging just as the people’s resolve, especially the youths, not to allow brigandage under any guise is equally palpable. “It is, therefore, only normal that law-abiding residents are allowed to go about their legitimate businesses.”

Read more

#EndSARS: DJ Switch remembers terrific experiences during Lekki shooting 

Spread the gist

Veteran female disc jockey, DJ Switch, who took a bold step by being live on her Instagram when there was random shooting at the Lekki tollgate, to show the whole world what was happening and at the same time, she gave vital information that would help in investigating the massacre of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate, on Tuesday. DJ Switch said, “Yes, there were soldiers there.  Another thing people are not talking about is that the Police were also there. The SARS people we are talking about also came about 45 minutes after the soldiers left. We were tear-gassed; the tear gas felt like Cotonou pepper mixed with acid. “We would run and come back and the only thing we fought with was our flags. We would sit on the floor; raise our hands up singing the national anthem. That was all we had. They put off the lights, even if there was no power supply on a good day, in that axis, there is always light at the Toll Gate. It was pitch-black.” With teary eyes, DJ Swutch recounted how a boy saved her life but was later shot in the process. “A boy jumped on me and kept shouting, ‘cover her, cover her.’ I did not even understand why he did that. They shot that boy while he was on my back,” she said. In the video, she showed some of the bullets the protester picked up which she referred to as proof. She also showed a bullet that was removed from the lap of one of the victims. She said, “While the soldiers were picking their shells, we were running around picking their shells too because we wanted proof. “The military, they were there on Nigerian soil, killing Nigerian citizens. The police and SARS people came doing the same thing. Aiming and shooting; aiming, they were pointing the guns at us and shooting live bullets. Who takes live bullets to a protest? Who does that?” “To[…]

Read more

NMA – Attack on ambulance, health workers during #ENDSARS protests condemnable

Spread the gist

The Nigerian Medical Association on Thursday damned the violent attack by hoodlums on ambulances and healthcare workers who went to the location where the Lekki tollgate massacre took place. Dr. Adetunji Adenekan, NMA Lagos chairman, said if the violence was continued, more lives of health workers and residents would’ve been at stake. “This sad event of unprovoked and unwarranted attacks of unarmed youth by security agents, whose primary constitutional duty is the protection of lives and property, will be remembered as a day security authority waged war against and attempted to make peaceful protest unconstitutional. In parts, the statement reads, “We are also aware of the restriction of movement of ambulances by some security personnel around the Lekki area during the pandemonium, and damage to one ambulance in another part of the state by hoodlums, thereby endangering the lives of health workers.” “We also wish to note that this act has led to a more tense atmosphere with public panic and mental health concerns. “In the same vein, the event is capable of putting the lives of healthcare workers, including medical and dental practitioners, who will have to continue to care for Lagosians, in great danger,” he said. Adenekan pleaded on the Lagos State Government to create free flow of movement for emergency responders, ambulances and health workers especially for emergencies.. “We call on the state government to make adequate arrangement in respect of provision of security for health workers and doctors, first responders and all essential workers. “The NMA also wants an urgent mechanism in place to prevent further escalation of the current situation and ensure the protection of lives and property of Lagosians,” he urged. Continuing, the Consultant Ophthalmologist said, “We appreciate the efforts of first responders, ambulance drivers, nurses, emergency room physicians and other health workers who worked round the clock to provide care for the wounded Nigerians on account of these attacks; and Governor Babajide Sanwoolu, for visiting some of the victims.”  

Read more

Sanwo-Olu warns against protest in the state, eases curfew

Spread the gist

Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Lagos State Governor, has announced the easing of the curfew imposed on the state on Friday. The governor announced that people are allowed to go out between 8am and 6pm from Saturday. Sanwo-Olu said this during a statewide broadcast on Friday. He said, “We have decided that we are going to be easing the curfew from tomorrow (Saturday) morning; and what that easing means is that people will be allowed to go out from 8am to 6pm. “For emphasis, from 8am tomorrow morning, you will be allowed to go out, to go wherever you wish till 6pm in the evening.“

Read more

Start mobilising to take Nigeria back in 2023, Peterside urges youths

Spread the gist

“The youths themselves have learnt some lessons from these incidents. You will be most effective when you link your demands with political activism. They should start getting their voter’s cards. Don’t wait for the last one month or two months because then your cards may fail to arrive. “There is no force more powerful than the youths in Nigeria in terms of voting. They should become politically active and send some messages. “Based on what happened, I came to the conclusion that the youths should plan to take their country back from 2023. I’m a democrat and I will not encourage anything that will subvert democracy. “You voted for some people and you have to see it through. Start planning now for the next election. Don’t let anybody tell you it is too early. “One powerful signal the youths can send is that they won’t support anybody who today is above the age of 60. If you all unite on that, I bet you, all the ambitious people who are below 60 will be struggling to curry favour from you. “When you send out that signal forcefully, they will obey you.” Furthermore, Peterside criticised the speech of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Thursday night. According to him, the President should have made reference to all those who lost their lives and not handpicked cops who died on duty amid the civil unrest of the last few weeks.

Read more

#EndSARS: Governor of Ebonyi State begs youths to forgive the leaders of the country

Spread the gist

On Friday, Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi has appealed to youths to forgive the country’s leaders, noting that the leaders had learnt valuable lessons from the prevailing disturbing situation. During an address to the people of the state, Umahi, made the appeal, insisted that the country needed to forge ahead after the killings and destruction of valuable properties. He said, “Our hearts go to the families of the deceased, and we enjoin the Federal and Lagos State Governments to quicken investigation into the incident. “It was an act of the devil and the infrastructure being destroyed across the country are for you as leaders of the future. “You need to be alive to actualise this future because some of you will be presidents, governors, lawmakers and ministers among others. “No one lives on earth forever, so, we seek your forgiveness so that we will go back to the drawing board,” he said. “Youths should be brought closer to issues of budgeting, dynamics and difficulties of governance among others to enable us have a better society. “I appeal to our people to withdraw from the #EndSARS protest because it is no longer a protest but an orchestrated violence with people imported from other states to destroy lives and properties,” he added. He continued by saying, “This is a critical moment in the nation’s history and we cannot continue to see the critical private and public infrastructure we laboured to build being destroyed. “Considering the dwindling revenue of the country, such infrastructure contributes greatly to the sustenance of the economy,” he said.

Read more

The Chairman of non-profit organisation urges Nigerian youths to start mobilising to take over political power in 2023.

Spread the gist

The Chairman of non-profit organisation, Anap Foundation, Atedo Peterside, has urged Nigerian youths to start mobilising to take over political power in 2023. The former Chairman of Cadbury Nigeria Plc condemned the attacks on the unarmed #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate and condoled the youths and the families of victims. Atedo said on Friday, “2050 is for the youths of today. It is not for those in my generation. “We are talking about the future of Nigeria and it is for the youths. So, if things happened that get the youths to be disenchanted nationwide, then we are in trouble. “I think what happened on Tuesday, October 20, 2020, can be turned around because it was the event of that day that made those who had no interest in politics to wake up. “The best time to build a nation is when the youths who are in the majority, they are at least 60 to 65 per cent, have been awakened. The gentle giants move a nation forward. “The youths themselves have learnt some lessons from these incidents. You will be most effective when you link your demands with political activism. They should start getting their voter’s cards. Don’t wait for the last one month or two months because then your cards may fail to arrive. “There is no force more powerful than the youths in Nigeria in terms of voting. They should become politically active and send some messages. “Based on what happened, I came to the conclusion that the youths should plan to take their country back from 2023. I’m a democrat and I will not encourage anything that will subvert democracy. “You voted for some people and you have to see it through. Start planning now for the next election. Don’t let anybody tell you it is too early. “One powerful signal the youths can send is that they won’t support anybody who today is above the age of 60. If you all unite on that, I[…]

Read more

Udom extends Akwa Ibom curfew by 13 hours

Spread the gist

Akwa Ibom State Government has announced the extended the curfew time by 13 hours which will commence today from 12noon to 7am on Saturday, 24th October 2020. Governor Udom Emmanuel,  imposed the curfew following the violent demonstration that erupted after two persons suspected to be EndSARS protesters were shot dead by a suspected security agent along Willington Bassey. Ini Ememobong, the commissioner of Information and Strategy, in a statement on Friday, said the extension was due to the unfolding events and situations being monitored by the state and security agencies. The statement reads, “Due to developing situations being monitored by the state government and security agencies and the inevitable need to protect citizens and property, based on overriding the public interest, the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, has extended the curfew, which was initially due to expire by noon of 23rd October 2020, till 7 am on Saturday, 24th October 2020. This curfew has a statewide effect. “Expectedly, there will be a total cessation of movement, except for those on essential duties, who must show proper identification. “All law-abiding citizens are advised to remain at home, as security agencies have been briefed to strictly enforce this order.”

Read more

Dare – Reports of Edo 2020 indefinite postponement fake

Spread the gist

Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has denied reports that the National Sports Festival tagged Edo 2020 has been postponed indefinitely, saying the ministry has not taken a final decision on a date for the biennial event. A statement from the Media Office of the sports minister Friday stated that consultations were ongoing between the ministry, the Edo State Government, the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, and the National Council on Sports to decide on a new date to host the festival. “Like we did by consulting with the PTF on COVID-19 when we lifted the ban on non-contact sports and later, contact sports, discussions are ongoing to decide on a new date for the festival,” the statement quoted sports minister Sunday Dare as saying. “The fake news that the festival has been postponed indefinitely must have emanated from a false source.” Dare added, “We are considering a staggered festival spanning several weeks, and athletes batched, no fans and strict adherence to the COVID-19 protocols. “While we are committed to holding the festival, we do not want to endanger the lives of athletes and officials. Be rest assured that a decision would be taken in line with the government’s guidelines in the best interest of the common good of our sports and the athletes.”

Read more

ECOWAS calls for dialogue to end protest in Nigeria

Spread the gist

The Economic Community of West African States has urged Nigerians to build peace in the ongoing crisis in the country. This statement was disclosed by the Directorate of Communications in ECOWAS on Thursday. ECOWAS stated with utmost concern of how the peaceful protest by Nigerian youth calling for police reform had turned violent. The statement reads, “ECOWAS Commission notes with concern that demonstrations by Nigerian youth calling for police reform, particularly the abolition of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police, accused of misconduct by those demonstrating, have turned violent. “ECOWAS Commission expresses its condolences to the families and friends of those who have lost their lives during the protests and wishes the injured a speedy recovery. While ECOWAS Commission recognises the right of citizens to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly and protests, it also wishes to stress that those rights should be exercised in a non-violent manner. In this regard, ECOWAS Commission calls on all protesters to remain peaceful in the conduct of their demonstrations. It also urges the Nigerian security operatives to exercise restraint in the handling of the protests and act professionally. “ECOWAS Commission further notes that, in an effort to address the demands of the protesting youth, the Federal Government of Nigeria took important decisions regarding disbandment of SARS, comprehensive police reforms and investigation of cases of police brutality. It encourages the Nigerian Authorities to conduct the investigation rapidly. “Finally, ECOWAS Commission appeals to the Federal Government of Nigeria, the Nigerian youth and the civil society to urgently pursue dialogue for an early and amicable resolution of this social unrest and maintain the Nigerian image as a bastion of law and order.”

Read more