Woman wrests gun from would-be robber and shoots him; when robber steals gun back and points it at her, it jams

Spread the gist
A 54-year-old woman, identified as Marnita Carter, is thanking God after she managed to wrestle a gun from an assailant, shoot him, and then narrowly avoid getting shot herself.
She was in the early hours of Saturday, August 4, attacked by a robber near her South Side bus stop in Chigaco, USA. As Carter was staring at a gun stuck in her face by the robber, she grabbed it and struggled with him. She got off a shot, hitting his hand, but the robber got the gun back and stood over her on the sidewalk. “… You shot me with my own gun. Now I’m gonna shoot your … (expletive),” the robber said as he regained his gun. However, she, fortunately, escaped being shot as the robber’s gun jammed. “I was shocked that it didn’t go off again,” she recalled to ChicagoTribune a day after the attack in the 8000 block of South Ashland Avenue. “It was the Lord — that’s what it was.” it was gathered that police arrested Dennis Evans, the robber, a few minutes later about four blocks away, where the 23-year-old reportedly lives with his mom and two sisters.
Carter, a mother of three, said that her weekend began with little drama. She works in the kitchen of a hotel across town, and she needed to catch the bus around 6am for the long commute. She walked a couple of blocks from her South Side apartment to get to the stop near a dollar store. That is when, she said, she noticed the man.
“I had to do what God gave me the strength to do: Defend myself,” Carter said. She recalled that she thought he was drunk or mentally ill. Then he pulled a gun and demanded her purse and other bags. “The minute he pulled it out, he cocked it. And I thought, ‘I have to think of something,’” she recalled. She said she saw people across the street, so she screamed for help, but nobody came. She grabbed the gun, she said, and they wrestled over it on the ground. She recalled some men started crossing the street and yelling at the man to leave Carter alone, but he told them she “had something of mine.” She screamed she was being robbed and he had a gun and the witnesses went back across the street. “That made me angry. I’m fighting a big man over the gun, and I didn’t see them no more,” she said. At one point, the barrel of the gun faced her chest. Then she took control of it, fell back and watched him try to reach for the gun. “That’s when I closed my eyes and just pressed the button,” she said, describing the trigger.
Police confirmed the round hit Evans’s left hand. Carter recalled that Evans jumped on top of her. He seemed stronger, she said. Maybe she was tired from the struggle. But he got control of the gun
You know how you struggle so long, with somebody that big, that you can’t struggle no more?” she said. He got up and told her he would shoot her for what she did to him, she recalled. She remained on the ground. She put her hands up. She thought of her three kids: 37, 17 and 16. “I thought, ‘This is it,’” she recalled. “I thought, ‘I’m saying goodbye to my kids.’” She looked at the gun. She saw his finger pull the trigger. She heard a click but felt no bullet. She couldn’t believe it didn’t go off. The man then ran away. And she realised she’d survived. A woman across the street yelled that she had already called the police. Soon officers arrived. They quickly located Evans, his hand bleeding heavily, according to the police report. A blue steel 9 mm gun was found under a nearby parked car, with six live rounds of ammunition. Evans was thereafter taken to the hospital for treatment where two more rounds of ammunition were found on him. He is being held in jail without the option of bail after a hearing on Sunday, August 5. He faces charges of attempted murder and attempted robbery.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.