Customs officers kill woman in Lagos

The Nigeria Police in Badagry, said it had arrested seven customs officers over the killing one Mrs Patience Oni and injuring an innocent man at Forte Oil Filling Station near popular Badagry Roundabout in Lagos state. The Divisional Police Officer (DPO) Badagry Police Station, Mr Samson Akhiromen, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Badagry that the men of customs were arrested for indiscriminately shooting and killing of innocent people. According to the DPO, the customs officers, under the code name Anti-flying, were raiding an illegal rice depot near a filling station around 12 noon on Tuesday, when they started shooting. “They started shooting indiscriminately to scare away traders and residents from the area. “During the shooting, the bullets from one of the officers hit two people, one died immediately, while the other one is receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital. “The husband of the woman killed is a police inspector serving in Area K Police Station, Morogbo,” he said. The DPO said that he arrested the officers with his team of officers when the situation was getting out of hand. He, however, said the arrested officers had been handed over to the SCIID Panti for further investigation and prosecution.

Read more

Qatar 2022World Cup kicks off Nov 21

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar kicks off exactly four years from today Qatar has released amazing videos on the venues and what to expect. It’s simply amazing 2018 was another year of amazing progress. At the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™, we showed the world what to expect in 2022. With just four years to go until the 2022 FIFA World Cup™, stadium development has been rapid, with the nearly completed Al Wakrah Stadium and Al Bayt Stadium – Al Khor City leading the way. At the same time, our legacy initiatives are benefiting more people and creating more opportunities than ever, in Qatar and around the world. Watch this film for a glimpse of what the SC achieved in 2018.

Read more

Ondo Children commend Akeredolu, wife on Girl-Child Initiatives

AKURE – AS the world marks the Universal Children’s Day, Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State, SAN, has been lauded for recording giant strides across the state. The children commended the Wife of the Governor, Mrs. Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, for lifting the condition of the Girl Child in the states. The Children, led by the One Day Chairman of the Ondo State Radiovision Corporation, OSRC, and Orange 94. 5 FM Management Committee, led by Miss Nifemi Obalokun appreciated the First Lady for the direct physical programmes brought to Children in the state and families at large. The Universal Children’s Day was celebrated in the state by UNICEF in Partnership with OSRC and Orange FM. The Management Committee of the stations vacated the office to allow the children run the station for a Day. The one day Chairman, Obalokun said their parents are aware of the giant stride the Akeredolu’s administration has recorded within short period of time. Obalokun said: “It might interest you to know, that in spite of all around political manoeuvring and bickering over power and manipulation of public perception, we, children of Ondo State see, hear and understand the silent reforms going on around us since February 2017. “We know and are convinced for instance, that the Ondo State Government under your leadership is avowed to ensure change and redefine the parameters of leadership in our land. “Your administration, to the admiration of all of us, has shown through its policies, actions and utterances that the destination of all its existence is the safe and sound existence of a happy family, the centre of which is the child. “Your massive road and infrastructural interventions, construction of educational facilities, expansion and deepening of health programmes, outstanding worker or should I say parent friendly policy as well as the deliberate opening up of the Ondo State economy to production and job creation, prove your love and commitment to society’s fertility, continuity, prosperity and preservation, all of which children represent. Mr.[…]

Read more

12m Nigerians venture into farming in two years, says Buhari

The agriculture sector has significantly reduced the rate of employment in the country as over 12 million Nigerians have ventured into rice production in the last two years. President Muhammadu Buhari disclosed this at the 4th Nigeria Rice Investment Forum, Effective Linkage of Actor and Effort in the Value Chain for Sustained Self-Sufficiency in Rice Production, on Wednesday in Abuja. The president, who was represented by the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh, said it was important to encourage more people into farming in order to attain self-sufficiency in rice production. “The impact of our interventions in rice sector has resulted into job creation, increase in wealth, while reducing migration from rural to urban areas. “As of July this year, the number of farmers has increased by 12 million. “The Rice Farmers Association (RIFAN) has five million members. The number of people working in the rice mills, small or big is over 1.7 million. “These include harvesters, loaders, off loaders, transporters, distributors and markets. “Unemployment is one of our biggest challenges in the country. “We want to make Nigeria self-sufficient in rice production and the fact that we are currently the largest producer of rice in Africa, followed by Mali is good news,” he said. “We have cut down rice importation by 90 per cent in the last three years and our milled rice is available in every store and supermarket in the country,” he said. Buhari also refuted a report credited to the U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) that alleged that Nigeria imported three million metric tonnes of rice in 2018. He reiterated his administration’s commitment toward improving the agriculture sector and creating job opportunities for the unemployed persons in the country. However, the Minister of Agriculture in his keynote address, said that plans were underway to privatise the Bank of Agriculture (BOA), adding that 40 per cent of the shares would go to farmers. Ogbeh said that this would address the challenges faced by[…]

Read more

Teen driver who survived horror crash vows to race again

A 17-year-old racing driver who fractured her spine in a horrifying crash at the Formula Three Macau Grand Prix has vowed to return to the sport after surviving surgery lasting nearly half a day. Sophia Floersch German Sophia Floersch flew off the track on Sunday, hurtling into marshals and photographers, before being rushed to a Macau hospital in a stable condition. I survived the operation which took 11 hours. Hope from now on it only gets better,” she wrote in a Facebook post late Tuesday. I’m going to come back!” she added. Floersch said she had to stay “a few more days” in Macau until it is possible to transport her elsewhere. She thanked the medical staff who treated her as well as the people who helped at the scene of the crash for their “encouraging, calming words in these tough minutes in my car”. Dramatic footage captured gasps from the crowd as the Van Amersfoort Racing driver’s car flew through the air and into safety netting at the Guia Circuit’s Lisboa bend, a sharp right-hander. Running 16th, she lost control in a contact down the straight, launched off a kerb and bounced off Tsuboi’s TOM’s Racing car. “ My thoughts are also with everyone who was involved in the accident. I hope everybody is healthy,” Floersch said in her post. – Circuit ‘not dangerous’ – The International Motoring Federation (FIA) has opened an investigation but FIA race director Charlie Whiting said it is “too soon” to say what caused the accident. Whiting also insisted that the Macau Grand Prix circuit is not dangerous. “ It is too soon to try and establish what the cause was,” Whiting told AFP. “ We know the initial cause for her loss of control but we need to analyse very very carefully. “It takes a few weeks to analyse data from the car, analyse video very carefully and try and establish exactly how the two cars made contact, how they interacted and what[…]

Read more

2019 : Buhari promises increased internet access

As the 2019 general election campaigns begin, President Muhammadu Buhari says his administration is committed to granting increased internet access to the poorest in the society. The information is in the President Buhari and Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo’s Next Level Campaign Guide for 2019. According to the guide, the efforts of government in the past few years enabled internet access and promoted local content, especially among Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) of government. It stated that “following the Vice President’s visit to Silicon Valley, U.S., where he visited the headquarters of some leading global technology companies, he met Google officials. “ He met with Google Chief Executive Officer, Sundar Pichai, and its top executives in July and the global tech company now provides free Wi-fi access in several public places in Nigeria. “ This initiative will bridge societal gaps by providing free internet access to some of the poorest in the society. It will grant access to information, tools of education, improved business and job opportunities and expansion for many Nigerians.” It further said that the free internet access was in line with the administration’s plan to improve the country’s technology sector and leverage on the gains that a data-driven digital economy could offer. It added that Information Communication Technology (ICT) was the new oil, adding that oil revenues were no longer sustainable. The guide indicated that the first free Wi-fi sites were rolled out in some parts of Lagos State. Corroborating President Buhari’s achievements, Mrs Titi Akinsomi, Google Nigeria Public Policy Lead, said “Google is highly committed to granting internet access to Nigerians. We are here to develop to make the promise of the digital economy a reality in Nigeria.” Akinsomi recognised that internet access was like a venture and the company was targeting 200 free Wi-Fi sites in the country in the next one year. Akinsomi further said that “we are being deliberate about going to where there is need: we have been doing a lot of[…]

Read more

Relationship: Chioma Rowland threatens Davido on birthday

Chioma Avril Rowland, the girlfriend of Davido has revealed what would happen to the singer, if he ever leaves her. Taking to her verified Instagram handle, @chefchi, she said, “Happy birthday hubby 😍 . If you leave me, water go carry you o 😛 God bless you my love. You’re so annoying but I’d choose you to annoy me for life.” As Davido celebrates his 26th birthday on Wednesday (today), Chioma has been sharing lots of video of them together on her Instagram page. As a result of her Instagram posts, she has also been trending on Twitter, with many Twitter users speculating on the gift, she would be giving Davido. Some Nigeria responded in different ways to the post urging Chioma to buy Davido a quality gift after the luxury car she got from the singer during her birthday. Davido is the one celebrating his birthday while Chioma is the one trending. Las las na woman get this world. Y’all waiting for Chioma’s birthday gift for Davido. It’s boxers and singlets… but expensive boxers, It’s in the construction. If ladies don’t buy some guys boxers, some of y’all won’t remember to change ‘em .

Read more

Okowa gives $50, 000 to Super Eagles

DELTA State Governor, Senator Dr Ifeanyi Okowa yesterday, redeemed his pledge of $25, 000 dollars per goal scored by the Super Eagles in their African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifying match against the Bafana Bafana football club of South Africa. In the football encounter which took place at the weekend in Johannesburg, South Africa, the match ended 1-1 with the Super Eagles qualifying for the championship billed to hold in Cameroon in 2019. At a state banquet yesterday held in honour of the Super Eagles at Government House, Asaba, Governor Okowa disclosed that though, the match ended 1-1, he saw the Super Eagles scoring more than one goal. Delta State Governor, Senator Ifeanyi Okowa (2nd left); President of Nigeria Football Federation, Mr. Amaju Pinnick (left) and Nigeria Super Eagles Captain, Ahmed Musa, during the International Friendly Match between the Nigeria Super Eagles and Uganda, at Stephen Keshi Stadium Asaba. As a state government, we did made a promise that we will give 25, 000 dollars per goal in the AFCON qualifying match in South Africa; in my mind, I know we scored two goals, not one goal, because the second goal was wrongly disallowed, so, we will fulfil our promise with what we saw, not with what was announced by the referee,” the governor said. Governor Okowa disclosed that the camping of the Super Eagles in Asaba was a blessing in several ways. The Super Eagles trained at the Stephen Keshi Stadium, Asaba from where they departed through the Asaba International Airport to South Africa. Shortly before their departure, Governor Okowa promised to reward them with the sum of $25, 000 for every goal scored which motivated the Super Eagles to qualify for the continental championship. According to him, “we are very happy that you left for South Africa from Asaba because you enabled us to witness the first international flight from the Asaba International Airport; I am truly excited this evening that we are hosting our dear Super Eagles[…]

Read more

APC loses 2 House of Reps members

Two All Progressive Congress (APC) members of the House of Representatives have resigned their membership of the ruling party with one defecting to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The lawmakers announced their resignations in two separate letters to the green chambers, which were read on the floor of the house on Wednesday by the Speaker, Mr Yakubu Dogara. Rep. Babatubde Kolawale, representing Akoko North East/West Federal Constituency in Ondo, in his letter, announced that he was defecting to the PDP. However, Rep. Mukaila Kazzim, representing Abeokuta North/Obafemi-Owode/ Odeda Federal Constituency of Ogun, did not state the party he would join. In the letters, both lawmakers made references to irreconcilable issues relating to the party primaries as part of the reasons for the resignation and defection. Kazzim stated that “god-fatherism” played a vital role in the emergence of candidates to represent the party in the 2019 general elections He said that the phenomenon was not only undemocratic but against relevant sections of the Constitution. The legislators said after due consultations with their constituents, it was time for them to part ways with the APC.

Read more

Nigeria is not breaking up

DESPITE our relentless, vociferous denunciation of Nigeria and her woes, most Nigerians are committed to Nigeria, and her continued unity. As such, any group of Nigerians seeking to secede from Nigeria will invariably incur the wrath of the majority of Nigerians. And, as in past, the generality of Nigerians will rally against such a group and defeat it. In 1967, the majority of Nigerians, including many Igbo, were opposed to secession. And the international community, African countries as represented by the Organization of African Unity, OAU, Britain and the United States of America, were all opposed to the separation of any part of Nigeria from the Nigerian federation. The Igbo military elite, for example, Hilary Njoku (the most senior Igbo army officer, after Ironsi, in the Nigerian army), Emmanuel Ifeajuna (one of the very few university-educated Nigerian army officers) and Chukwuma Nzeogwu (the then most celebrated Igbo army officer), and the Igbo political elite, most notably, Nnamdi Azikiwe, were opposed to secession. In a speech to the Diplomatic Community in Nigeria on April 24, 1967, Yakubu Gowon stated the federal government’s stance against secession, “my colleagues and I would spare no effort in the search for peace provided nothing is done by anyone to impair the integrity and corporate existence of Nigeria”. The member countries of OAU were appalled by the slaughter of Igbo civilians in Northern Nigeria but were opposed to the dismemberment of Nigeria. A one time Biafran diplomat, Raph Uwechue, wrote that due “to (its) aversion for secession, the OAU stuck rigidly to the principle of settlement within the context of one Nigeria”. In addition, the American and British governments were opposed to a breakup of Nigeria. In his book, Oil, Politics and Violence, the historian and writer, Max Siollun, wrote, “Both the American Ambassador, Elbert Matthews, and the British High Commissioner, Cumming Bruce, made strong representations against secession (because) it will be a major political and economic disaster for Nigerian people and severe setback for independent[…]

Read more