‘It had to be very simple’: The EU reportedly used colorful flash cards to explain trade policy to Trump

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker reportedly used colorful cue cards to explain global-trade policy to President Donald Trump. The Wall Street Journal reported that Juncker had around a dozen simple cards, all brightly colored and containing minimal information. Trump is known for disliking lengthy memos and documents which contain too much detail. European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker reportedly used colorful cue cards to explain issues of global-trade policy to President Donald Trump during their meeting earlier this week. According to a report from the Wall Street Journal on Thursday evening, Juncker and his team used the cards to simplify complex issues for the president as a means of getting their points across as effectively as possible. The Journal’s report says Juncker “flipped through” more than a dozen cards, which had minimal information on them, and all focused on a single issue. These included the automotive trade, and regulatory standards for medicines, the report added, saying that there were a maximum of three figures per card. “We knew this wasn’t an academic seminar,” a senior EU official who was at the meeting told the Wall Street Journal. “It had to be very simple.” Trump and Juncker on Wednesday agreed to the beginnings of a deal that would end the previously growing trade tensions between the US and the EU. During the meeting, the EU agreed to import more American soybeans and liquefied natural gas. Both sides agreed to work to decrease industrial tariffs and adjust regulations to allow US medical devices to be traded more easily in European markets. “This was a very big day for free and fair trade,” Trump said at a press conference after the pair’s meeting. The EU’s use of flash cards is not without precedent. Trump is well-known for his distaste for lengthy documents, and is said to prefer single-page memos when deciding on policy. In May 2017, a report from Reuters said that Trump likes “single-page memos and visual aids like maps, charts, graphs and photos.” A source quoted by Reuters said[…]

Read more

Mike Pence defends White House banning CNN reporter from press event

Vice President Mike Pence stood by the White House’ decision to ban a CNN reporter from a press event last week, citing the need to maintain  “decorum.” “This administration believes in the freedom of the press,” Pence told Fox News’ Maria Bartiromo in an interview airing Sunday. “But maintaining the decorum that is due at the White House… is an issue that we’ll continue to work forward.” The White House was hit with intense backlash from dozens of journalists and media outlets on Wednesday after it disinvited CNN’s Kaitlan Collins, representing five television networks as the day’s chosen pool reporter, from a press event. Collins was told by the White House that at a brief gathering earlier in the day, she had asked President Donald Trump “inappropriate” questions and had refused to leave the Oval Office, according to CNN. Collins and other reporters present at the time disputed the White House’s claim. Several cable news networks, including Fox News, issued statements expressing solidarity with CNN and calling for reporters’ full access to press events. Despite Trump’s repeated attacks on the press, including falsely accusing outlets of publishing “fake news” and calling journalists the “enemy of the people,” Pence told Bartiromo that the administration has provided “extraordinary access to the media.” “The president answers so many questions in so many different settings, and I can assure that we’ll continue to do that,” Pence said. While Trump occasionally takes impromptu questions from the press at various gathering, he hasn’t held a solo press conference since February 2017. Pence deflected when asked by Bartiromo whether shutting out Collins was like shutting out “everybody” from the press event. “I would leave that decision to the White House staff, and I just remain very confident,” he said. “We’ll make sure that every network, every major news organization, continues to have access because we stand for the freedom of press in this White House.

Read more

WORLD’S BIGGEST BUTT

DALLAS, TX – Dionne Washington claims to have the biggest butt in the world. Dionne Washington can’t imagine anything worse than dieting. Her massive bottom is 5ft 3ins across and weighs a whopping 120 pounds – about the same as Lindsay Lohan holding twenty pounds of coke. Dionne loves her butt. “I am literally sitting on a fortune,” says Dionne, 35. “My butt must be the widest in the world and it already earns me over $180,00 a year. I used to hate it, but now it’s my fave feature.” She’s sitting on a goldmine. She knows how much her bottom weighs because four men lifted her up and flopped it down on a set of industrial scales while holding up the rest of her.  At its widest point, it’s 14ft 9ins around, and she’s on a mission to make it even bigger. Dionne’s total weight is 425 lbs and at 5ft 4ins tall her Body Mass Index is 85. That’s four times more than an average woman and it puts her at risk of high cholesterol, diabetes and heart problems. “I’m not concerned,” she insists. “I love my body and wouldn’t change a thing.” However, Amanda Thornton of Atlanta has something to say about Dionne’s claim for biggest butt: And Kim Kardashian – well, she’s not even in the running. Dionne says nearly everything she eats goes to her bottom and to maintain its huge size she consumes a shocking 9,000 calories a day – more than four times the recommended intake for women. “The more I eat the bigger this beauty gets,” says Dionne. She hasn’t always been so proud of her butt, though. Growing up in Texas, she says it was the bane of her life. A skinny child, her weight ballooned when she hit puberty. “Suddenly I went from size 12 jeans to a size 18, then 20 then 22, while on top I remained a size 14. Kids at school can be so cruel, calling[…]

Read more

Hope in South Africa As HIV Infections Cases Decline

New HIV infections in South Africa have fallen by 44% in the last five years according to the Human Sciences Research Council Study released in July 2018. The study also reveals that almost three-quarters of South Africans between the ages of 15 and 64 infected or living with HIV know their status and are on antiretroviral treatment. Patient being tested for HIV.        

Read more

Thousands attend rally against proposed increase to retirement age in Russia

People hold posters during a rally in Moscow, Russia, on July 29, 2018.   Thousands protested in central Moscow on Sunday against a proposed increase to the retirement age and the crowd chanted slogans critical of President Vladimir Putin whose approval ratings have been dented by the bill. The rally organized by the opposition Libertarian Party chanted “Putin is a thief” and “away with the tsar,” slogans common at anti-Putin and anti-government protests. The retirement age proposal is politically sensitive for Putin, who was re-elected in March, because it has prompted a series of protests across Russia since it was announced on June 14, the day Russia played the first match of its soccer World Cup. Around 90 per cent of the population oppose the bill, according to a recent opinion poll, and a petition against it has attracted 3 million signatures online. More than 6,000 people came to Sunday’s rally some 2.4 kilometers from the Kremlin, according to White Counter, an NGO that counts participants at rallies using metal detector frames. Police put the number at around 2,500. People held placards with slogans against the higher retirement age and one read: “stop stealing our future.” Authorities detained two protest organizers, Vladimir Milov, a former deputy energy minister and now an opposition campaigner, told Reuters. The proposal to raise the retirement age, to 65 from 60 for men and to 63 from 55 for women, is part of an unpopular budget package designed to shore up government finances that is backed by lawmakers. Putin, who once promised not to raise the retirement age, has tried to distance himself from the pension plan. This month he said he did not like any of the proposals. He said Russia could avoid raising the retirement age for years, though a decision would have to be made eventually. “We have to proceed not from emotions, but from the real assessment of economic conditions and prospects of its development and (the development of) the social[…]

Read more

DINO MELAYE’S ATTACK/KIDNAP, REAL OR FAKE (SEE NIGERIAN’S OPINION)

By chinwendu oruche   The Chairman, Senate Committee on Federal Capital Territory, and representative of Kogi West senatorial district Senator Dino Melaye, was reportedly abducted by unknown gunmen on 26, July 2018, while traveling to Kogi from Abuja. Another report said that armed men assaulted him in Gwagwalada while going to Lokoja toward the beginning of the today. Worries about Mr. Melaye’s whereabouts were first raised by Ben Murray-Bruce, one of his fellow Senator. Ben Murray Bruce who chairs the Senate Committee on Privatization said Melaye was abducted by gunmen that were unknown in a tweet. He uncovered that Melaye’s brother made the disclosure to him as he was en route from Abuja to Kogi, his state. Bruce wrote; “I have just been informed by Moses Melaye, @dino_melaye’s brother, that Dino has been abducted by unknown persons in a Toyota Sienna that blocked their car and overpowered them on their way to Kogi to answer to Dino’s court case. Let’s be on the watch out. Will keep you updated,” he tweeted via his Twitter handle @benmurraybruce. The controversial Senator has since resurfaced. He has been connected to considerable measure of negative scenes of late. Senator Dino Melaye was arraigned before the Abuja High Court sitting in Apo by the police and was granted bail with N5 million. Dino Melaye was summoned on a six-count charge of attempted suicide, escape from police and damage done to police property. Melaye is among the All Progressives Congress (APC) Senators that as of late decamped to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). He wrote on his twitter handle, Dino Melaye;

Read more

Amaechi Speaks On 2019 Election, Talks On Buhari Possibility Of Winning

The Minister of Transportation, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi has said the recent defection of some Senators from the All Progressives Congress, APC, to the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, would not deter President Muhammadu Buhari from winning the 2019 presidential election. Amaechi, while fielding questions from journalists after inspecting the Itakpe-Warri rail line on Friday, said the chances of Buhari in the election were bright. He also boasted that the President will win the election even on a sick bed, using Bauchi State to drive home his argument, where according to him, Buhari had never lost election before. Amaechi told reporters, “Do you honestly believe that the president will lose an election in this country? Well, nobody is God, but that is one of his comfort zones. The next person that left, left from Bauchi, if you bring the President on a sick bed in Bauchi, he will win. He has never lost an election in Bauchi. “One thing about me in the political history of Nigeria, nobody has been in doubt on where I stand, one quality I have and Nigerians believe is that I’m honest. I never hid my feelings. “Nigerians will certainly reject a second looting, Nigeria cannot survive another looting, call me all the rich men in Nigeria, everybody depends on government. “Sixty per cent of Nigerian rich men depend on government. Only three years that they removed the breast milk, everybody is complaining.”

Read more

How (Not) To kill A Snake At Night. Warning – Don’t Try This!

  Animal documentaries used to be my thing. I especially loved those snake documentaries on NatGeo Wild. That is where I lost my fear of snakes. Forgot Hollywood movies like ‘Anaconda’, the fact is, most snakes are more scared of us than we know. Any smart snake would not be caught dead in a place where humans hang out a lot. That is one reason most of them come out at night to hunt for prey. The main reason, though, is that snakes are largely nocturnal hunters. So, because of several hours of NatGeo Wild documentaries, I was able to kill a snake that was unfortunate to cross my path. This is how it happened. I was on my bed, around 10 pm or thereabouts, thinking the sort of things guys mull about while waiting for sleep to overcome me. Then I decided to take a piss first. Not because I was pressed, but because I hate waking up in the middle of the night to do it. For some reason, I opted to pick up my torch. Normally I go outside to urinate without a torch. Thinking about it later, I think that snake was destined to be killed that day. It must have annoyed some ‘snake god‘; if there is such a thing as that. Anyway, I went outside to the back of my one room apartment. I headed to the usual spot I always relieve myself when I feel like doing it outside at night. For some reason, I pointed my flashlight at a particular spot near where I was standing. A movement caught my eye. I stopped unzipping my fly to focus on that movement. The snake, which was startled by the light from the torch, was trying to move away from it. Every single thought of taking a piss disappeared as I focus on the reptile. And no, my heart wasn’t racing with fear or tension. I was calm and fascinated by it. It wasn’t[…]

Read more

Giuliani says feds have 183 recordings made by Michael Cohen

President Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani says that federal investigators have 183 “unique conversations” recorded by Michael Cohen, the president’s former attorney and fixer. Mr. Trump is heard on one of those recordings, which has already been made public, Giuliani said on “Face the Nation” Sunday. “We know of something like 183 unique conversations on tape. One of those is with the president of the United States. That’s the three-minute one involving the McDougal payment, AMI-McDougal payment,” Giuliani said, referring to Karen McDougal, a former Playboy model who claimed she had an affair with the president. “There are 12 others, maybe 11 or 12 others out of the 183, in which the president is discussed at any length by Cohen, mostly with reporters.” Giuliani said he doesn’t know the contents of the recordings that don’t include or mention Mr. Trump, but said federal prosecutors would have turned them over to him if they related to the president. Cohen is under investigation by the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York over his business dealings. Federal investigators seized millions of records during a raid on his home and office in April, including recordings of conversations Cohen had made. The recording between Cohen and Mr. Trump was aired by CNN last week. In the recording, which Cohen’s attorney Lanny Davis released to the cable network, the two discuss a possible payment to AMI, the publishing company that purchased story rights from McDougal about the alleged affair. Giuliani has said Mr. Trump never made a payment to AMI. © Credit: CBSNews screen-shot-2018-07-29-at-11-01-57-am.png On Sunday, Giuliani argued that the recordings about Mr. Trump “clearly corroborate” the president’s position that he was not aware ahead of time about payments to McDougal or Stormy Daniels, the adult film actress who received $150,000 from a company set up by Cohen in exchange for her silence about an alleged affair. “These are tapes I want you to read, I want you to hear them. I didn’t think I’d be[…]

Read more

[PHOTO] Ex-Super Eagles Player, Wilson Oruma Suffers Relapse Of E‎motional Disorder After He Was Duped By Pastor

Oruma, also the Golden Eaglets’ 1993 FIFA U-17 World Cup winning captain, was lured into a fake oil business in December 2012 in which he invested a whopping sum of N1.2billion without proper consultation after retiring from football and he consequently lost the investment. “Wilson (Oruma) hasn’t really recovered from the emotional disorder which he suffered after he was duped,” his bossom friend Emakpor Dibofun revealed. “He has been to several places in search of a lasting solution, but it gets worse after a bit of improvement.” A former Nigeria international and former Chairman of Lagos State Football Association, Waidi Akanni, also added that plans by Oruma’s ex teammates to help resuscitate him to normal life is ongoing. “We have contacted some of his colleagues whom he played with during his days at the national team and there have been positive news regarding what we are trying to do,”Akanni told Completesportsnigeria.com. “But nothing more I can discuss publicly just yet, but he needs help. “We just pray all goes well, so we can help him out of this precarious situation.” Oruma featured for Nigeria’s U-17, U-23 and the senior national team, winning the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 1993, the Olympic gold in 1996 and two bronze medals at the African Cup of Nations in 2002 and 2006.

Read more