BREAKING: Yellow fever outbreak spreads to three Enugu LGAs

There was high tension in Enugu State on Monday after the report of a suspected Yellow Fever outbreak in three more local government areas of the state. Enugu State had been tackling to contain the outbreak of the disease in two communities of Ette Uno and Umuopu in Igbo-Eze North Local Government Area of the state, which according to reports claimed 52 lives between late October when the outbreak was first reported and November 2020. The state government has also confirmed it had received reports of mysterious deaths within communities in Nsukka, Isi-Uzo, and Igbo-Etiti LGAs. A statement by the Commissioner of Health, Prof Ikechukwu Obi, which was released on Sunday night, unveiled that the ministry’s Rapid Response Team, LGA Rapid Response Teams in collaboration with International and National Partners had visited the communities to clearly look into the matter and investigate the reports and had taken samples for testing. The statement partly read, “Following the confirmed cases of Yellow Fever in Igbo Eze North LGA of Enugu State and the concerted efforts to control the situation in the LGA by the State Government, Stakeholders and Partners; Federal and International, reports have also been received of ‘strange deaths’ within communities in Nsukka, Isi-Uzo and Igbo-Etiti LGAs. “The Enugu State Ministry of Health Rapid Response Team, LGA Rapid Response Teams, International and National Partners have also visited these LGAs to investigate the reports and take samples for testing just as was done for the reports at Igboeze North. “The new set of samples from these LGAs have been sent to the National Reference Laboratory at the Federal Capital Territory Abuja for a thorough and complete examination to determine conclusively the reasons for these new set of reports and the results are expected back early this week.” The Health Commissioner sympathized with families that lost their loved ones in the unfortunate development, reminded residents of the state that “Yellow Fever is transmitted through mosquito bites”. He added, “Yellow Fever Vaccination is not[…]

Read more

Enugu trader killed after a call to come to Nsukka!!

Enugu-Trader-Killed-After-A-Call-To-Come-To-Nsukka. A popular trader at Eke-Ozzi in Igbo-Eze North Local Government Area of Enugu was reportedly killed weekend while on his way to Nsukka in a mysterious circumstance. The victim, Mr Ogbu Fredrick, alias Add More, from Umuogiri Eze, Ogrute, Enugu-Ezike, allegedly met his death at Nsukka, where his body was dumped by the hillside, near the Fire Service office. The trader was said to be a butcher before he “began the business of selling animal feeds alongside his wife at Eke Ozzi market, along Amufie road, after falling sick that kept him down for about six years,’ a family source said. According to his relation, who did not want his name mentioned, “Add More went to Obollo-Afor in the morning of Saturday to purchase animal feeds. When he came back to his shop, he got a call to go to Nsukka to buy more feeds. He then left for Nsukka to buy the animal feeds and met his untimely death on his way. No one knows what happened yet.” It was gathered that there were machete cuts on his legs with some cloths tied on the affected areas. It was furthered gathered that a huge sum of money in his possession was kept beside him, alongside his phone reportedly without a sim card. His motorcycle was also untouched. The matter was reported to the Nsukka Area Command of the Nigeria Police, where investigations were ongoing to unravel the cause of the death. An okada rider plying the route of the incident, Ifedi Apeh, opined that the deceased might have been killed by a hit-run-vehicle, although he could not explain why one of the victim’s legs was almost cut into two. The police public relations officer of the Enugu State Police Command, ASP Daniel Ndukwe, did not respond to questions sent to him through SMS by our correspondent for clarifications.

Read more

#EndSARS: Enugu government has adjusted 24 hours curfew imposed on the state to 13 hours indefintely

Governor Ugwuanyi had on Wednesday, imposed 24-hour dusk-to-dawn on three LGAs of Enugu East, Enugu North, and Enugu South. This curfew was imposed on the three LGAs because of the violent #EndSARS protest that involved the demolition and burning down of public and private facilities. The State Commissioner for Information, Nnanyelugo Aroh, in a statement, on Saturday night, said the adjustment was following the hardship occasioned by the 24-hour curfew. Aroh stated that “the 24-hour curfew imposed in Enugu East, Enugu North and Enugu South Local Government Areas stands lifted with effect from 7am on Sunday, 25th October, 2020”. He also added that “in its place, a 13-hour curfew (6pm to 7am) daily, is imposed in Enugu East, Enugu North and Enugu South Local Government Areas, with effect from 6pm on Sunday, 25th October 2020 until further notice”. “The Commissioner of Police, Enugu State Police Command and other Security Agencies are hereby directed to ensure full compliance with this order” the Information Commissioner pointed out that “persons involved in the delivery of essential services such as Health Care Workers, staff of Water Corporation, Enugu Electricity Distribution Company, Fire service, Enugu State Emergency Management Agency, etc, shall continue to attend to their duties.”

Read more

#EndSARS: Flavour said they will hold Enugu government accountable of anything happens to them

Popular Nigerian singer, Flavour, has raised the alarm over threat to his life. Flavour took to his verified Twitter handle to state that if anything happens to him or other #ENDSARS protesters, the Enugu State Government should be held accountable. Flavour, led the #ENDSARS protest in Enugu with fellow celebrities like Phyno, Zoro, KCee and Masterkraft. Flavour tweeted, “Enugu! Today our lives were threatened and we are making it clear that if ANYTHING happens to any single one of us or any protestors, let it be known that it was done by the ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT! @phynofino, @ZoroSwagbag He claimed that the governor of Enugu state, Ifeanyi Ugeuanyi, refused speaking with the peaceful protesters. He tweeted, “Today, our peaceful protest in Enugu from Ogbete Market to the Enugu State Government House was going well until we reached the government house. Along the way, we noticed a group of thugs joined the protests. Flavour continued, “The governor came out but refused to speak up and address the protestors, instead he addressed the thugs. The thugs tried to fight us but we maintained peace because we recognized their plan. “We made sure the youth remained calm yet the governor refused to answer our questions! Instead, he walked out on us, unapologetically, with the thugs following him. We made it clear that we knew the people he was pretending to address were paid thugs.” The singer reassured that the #ENDSARS protest would remain peaceful. “As we have been saying: The movement won’t stop! We come in peace as always! #NewNigeria#NewEnugu#EndSARS#EndSWAT#EndPoliceBrutality,” he added.

Read more

Actor Kenneth Okonkwo declares his ambition to run for Enugu governorship election, unveils poster

– Kenneth Okonkwo appears to be really running for governor of Enugu state – The veteran actor recently declared his ambition on Instagram – He explained that with God, he will achieve his dream it had earlier revealed that veteran Nigerian actor Kenneth Okonkwo was getting set to reveal his desire to become the next governor of Enugu state. It appears he has confirmed his desire to run for office. At the time when he initially revealed his desire, may did not believe he was serious. But a recent post he made has confirmed his decision to run. He took to his Instagram page to write that with God, his dream will be achieved. “Without God I can do nothing but with Him I can do all things because He strengthens me. Join the wining team. By the grace of God, I am the next Governor of Enugu State.” When he initially declared his ambition, he revealed that he has the support of the immediate past Governor of Enugu State Sullivan Chime. “I just declared my intention to contest for the Governorship candidate of APC in Enugu State. It was heartwarming to receive the blessings of the immediate past Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Gov Sullivan Chime. To God be the glory,” he wrote.

Read more