#EndSARS: DJ Switch remembers terrific experiences during Lekki shooting 

Veteran female disc jockey, DJ Switch, who took a bold step by being live on her Instagram when there was random shooting at the Lekki tollgate, to show the whole world what was happening and at the same time, she gave vital information that would help in investigating the massacre of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate, on Tuesday. DJ Switch said, “Yes, there were soldiers there.  Another thing people are not talking about is that the Police were also there. The SARS people we are talking about also came about 45 minutes after the soldiers left. We were tear-gassed; the tear gas felt like Cotonou pepper mixed with acid. “We would run and come back and the only thing we fought with was our flags. We would sit on the floor; raise our hands up singing the national anthem. That was all we had. They put off the lights, even if there was no power supply on a good day, in that axis, there is always light at the Toll Gate. It was pitch-black.” With teary eyes, DJ Swutch recounted how a boy saved her life but was later shot in the process. “A boy jumped on me and kept shouting, ‘cover her, cover her.’ I did not even understand why he did that. They shot that boy while he was on my back,” she said. In the video, she showed some of the bullets the protester picked up which she referred to as proof. She also showed a bullet that was removed from the lap of one of the victims. She said, “While the soldiers were picking their shells, we were running around picking their shells too because we wanted proof. “The military, they were there on Nigerian soil, killing Nigerian citizens. The police and SARS people came doing the same thing. Aiming and shooting; aiming, they were pointing the guns at us and shooting live bullets. Who takes live bullets to a protest? Who does that?” “To[…]

Read more

Federal Government appeals for understanding, calm nationwide

The Presidency on Wednesday appealed to Nigerians to show understanding with the present regime and remain calm while it tries to implement police reforms. This was contained in a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, titled, ‘President Buhari welcomes establishment of judicial panels of inquiry by 13 states to deliver justice for victims of police brutality’. Few hours after eyewitnesses claimed armed soldiers opened fire on protesting youths at Lekki tollgate area un Lagos State, that was when the call for calm came. Reeling out the steps he claimed have so far been taking to address the demands of the protesters, Adesina wrote, “The Presidency appeals for understanding and calm across the nation, as the implementation of the reforms gathers pace at federal and state levels. “The Presidency wishes to reiterate the full commitment of the Buhari administration to the implementation of lasting police reforms in Nigeria.” He made mention of the states that have done so to include Lagos, Kaduna, Delta, Ekiti, Ogun, Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Plateau, Edo, Nasarawa, Ondo and Akwa Ibom. The statement added, “President Muhammadu Buhari welcomes the promptness of these necessary subnational actions, and reaffirms his commitment to supporting the state governments to ensure that justice is achieved for all victims of police brutality in Nigeria. “Under the Chairmanship of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, the National Economic Council at its meeting on Thursday October 15, 2020 resolved to establish state-level Judicial Panels of Inquiry, to investigate allegations of Police brutality and ensure that all erring personnel are brought to justice. “Prior to that, the President in June 2019 signed a Bill establishing the Police Trust Fund, to mobilize additional funding for the welfare and equipping of the Nigeria Police Force. Accrual of funding into the Fund, as specified in its enabling Act, has commenced. “President Buhari in 2018 approved an increase in police salaries and the police personnel budget has seen a rise from N288bn in the[…]

Read more

Police ban protests in Lagos

In a press statement by the Lagos State Police Relation Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, on Tuesday, he hasbanned protests in the state. Few hours after the Lagos State Government imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state, the police ban followed. Two police stations were burnt in Lagos State by hoodlums before the declaration of curfew. The statement reads, “In a statement by the spokesman for the command, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, the police said no protests, gatherings or procession under any guise was allowed anymore in the state. “Due to the new development of violent attacks on police officers and men and formations including innocent Nigerians in Lagos State, and the 24-hour curfew imposed by the Lagos State Government with effect from 4pm today October 20; the Lagos State Police Command wishes to inform the public that henceforth no protest or gathering or possession, under whatever guise, is permitted within Lagos State. “In light of the above, all security agencies have deployed adequate personnel to take charge and enforce the curfew across the state. “The command regrets to confirm the setting ablaze of Orile Police State today at about 10am, where some of our policemen were critically injured and unconfirmed reports state that one of them is dead.” The PPRO regretted that the #ENDSARS protests have been hijacked by hoodlums. “It’s crystal clear that the #ENDSARS protest has been hijacked by hoodlums who want to run down the state and the police command will resist such state of anarchy, unrest, and brouhaha with all powers within the ambit of the law. “While the command is resolute in sustenance of human rights and democratic tenets, the public is hereby warned to comply with the curfew and desist from any act of violence in the state as the command will resist such in totality,” he added.

Read more

Gombe man ‘charms’ Kano teenage girl into marriage

Kano State Police Command says it has arrested a man, one Kabiru Abdullahi, 27, he allegedly charmed a teenage girl  and forced her into marriage in Gombe State. It also said it succeeded in arresting three others for allegedly raping a housewife and another minor girl. The command’s spokesperson, DSP Abdullahi Haruna said, “On October 10, one Alhaji Iliyasu Yakubu of Matugwe Village Sumaila LGA, Kano, reported a case against one Sale Yusuf, 30, of Ana-Dariya Village Tudun Wada LGA, Kano State. “He said when his wife Hajara Umar, 40, was returning from Matigwe Village Sumaila council to Falgore Village Tudun Wada council, the suspect attacked her on a bush path with knife, stick and forcefully had sexual intercourse with her. “The suspect was arrested and confessed to have committed the offence. The knife and stick were recovered. Case is under investigation. “Similarly, October 10, one Sadi Alasan of Zaura Babba Village Ungogo, Kano State, reported a rape case against Isyaku Sani, 25,  and Usaini Muhammed, 17, both of Zaura Babba Village Ungogo, Kano. “He said they deceive and lured his daughter, aged none, into a house at different occasions and each had sexual intercourse with her. “The suspects were arrested and confessed to have committed the offence. The case is under investigation.”

Read more

Police Reform Suffers Setback As Appeal Court Voids Act.

The Court of Appeal has declared that the Police Act 2020, enacted in September this year as it affects the constitutional mandate of the Police Service Commission (PSC) is unconstitutional and void. Analysts believed the nullification of the act was a serious setback for President Muhammadu Buhari who assented to the bill and the National Assembly, which signed it into law. President Buhari had promised reform of the Nigeria Police Force amidst continued #EndSARS violent protests across the country despite the scrapping of the anti-robbery outfit. It was gathered that the details of the Appeal Court judgment, which nullified the Police Act, 2020, were contained in the Certified True Copy received by the PSC on Wednesday. A statement signed by the PSC’s Head of Press and Public Relations, Mr Ikechukwu Ani, said the Court of Appeal judgment ruled that the provision of the act was obviously in conflict with paragraph 30 Part 1 of the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution, which empowers the commission to appoint persons into offices in the Nigeria Police Force except for the Office of the Inspector-General of Police. He said Justice Emmanuel Akomaye Agim, one of the three Justices of the Court, in his concurrent judgment, ruled that Paragraph 30 of Part 1 of the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution has given the power to the commission to appoint persons into offices in the Nigeria Police “and did not exclude constables and cadets to Nigeria Police Academy from offices in the Nigeria Police into which the Appellant can appoint persons.” Ani stated that Agim declared that no act of the National Assembly or law could take away or curtail such power. According to him, Agim noted that even if the Nigeria Police carried out the disputed enlistment pursuant to a directive or approval of the president of the federation, “the enlistment would remain contrary to the constitution and therefore unconstitutional and void. “Such a directive cannot repair its unconstitutionality and illegality.” Ani mentioned[…]

Read more

Yele Bademos, CEO Bundle’s Narration On How SARS Rubbed Him.

Many victims of the atrocious activities of the Police/SARS unit have been coming out to narrative their unpleasant experiences Yele Bademosi, is one of the victims. he took to his Tweeter Handle @YeleBademosi to narrate how he was abducted, harassed, and threatened last year, in Lekki axis of Lagos while he was on his way home. “On October 2019, I got kidnapped by SARS. I was less than 2 mins from home., they refused to listen to anything I said and took me from Lekki to Ajah then all the way to Ikoyi, whilst stopping and harassing other young adults, I`m not sure how many cars they stopped and rubbed,” he said. Yele Bademosi continued, “They took my phones, wallet, house key, my Apple Watch, they didn’t care about my ID cards and claimed I was a Yahoo Boy because I had messages on telegram with foreigners. They demanded N1m from me, made a “fake” phone call to their commander, and said I would sleep in prison. They stopped at the end of Eko Bridge and demanded more money before leaving me to somewhere on the mainland near the international airport. I don’t keep a lot of Naira on meas I am long Bitcoin, and only had N51,000 in my account, which they asked me to withdraw at a UBA ATM. They forced me to open my US bank accounts and said I should transfer USD from my bank of America account to my GTB account. I cried and prayed because I didn’t know what to do and couldn’t understand why and how this is happening. It ws one of the scariest experiences of my life, he said.” Yele said he thought to himself that these officers could kill him and no one would know about it. all he could do was pray to God to protect and deliver him. He didn’t how his ordeal ended but he strongly agreed on banning SARS.

Read more

Breaking!! Assistant Police Commissioner Dismissed 10 Senior Officers And Reduced Rank Of Nine Others.

The Police Service Commission has approved the dismissal of ten senior Police Officers and the reduction in rank of nine others. The Commission also approved the punishment of severe reprimand for eight Officers, reprimand for 10 and letter of warning for three other Officers. Three Officers were however exonerated. In a Statement by PSC Head, Press and Public Relations Mr IKechukwu Ani, he noted that :” The Commission took the decisions at its 9th Plenary Meeting which held in Abuja on Monday, 28th and Tuesday 29th September, 2020 and presided over by its Chairman, Musiliu Smith, a retired Inspector General of Police. ” At the meeting the Commission treated 43 cases of Police misconduct where it dismissed one Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), two Superintendents of Police (SP), three Deputy Superintendents of Police (DSP) one of which is a retired officer, and four Assistant Superintendents of Police (ASP). It further directed the prosecution of six of the Officers to wit, one ACP, one SP, two DSPs and two ASPs. “The dismissed ACP, Magaji Ado Doko, was found to have engaged in acts unbecoming of a public Officer; disobedience to lawful order; discreditable conduct; unlawful use of authority and scandalous conduct. One of the dismissed SPs, Ogedengbe Abraham was found guilty of negligence/loss of government property; disobedience to lawful order and act unbecoming of a public Officer while the other dismissed SP, Mallam Gajere Taluwai was found guilty of discreditable conduct and act unbecoming of a public Officer. “The three dismissed DSPs were Okunkonin Daniel, Abisoro Obo Irene and Theresa Nuhu who is already retired. The ASPs were Sanusi Rasaki, Uwadala Ehis Oba, Ferdinand Idoko and Igolor Godsent Ogheneruona. “The Commission also compulsorily retired SP Talba Mohammed for acts unbecoming of a public officer and dishonesty. In its further deliberation, the Commission also approved the reduction in rank of Muhammad Sani Muhammad from CSP to SP for unruly behaviour; gross insubordination, gross misconduct and conduct unbecoming of a senior Police Officer.[…]

Read more

IGP To Unit Heads – Compile And Sack Every Officer Found Guilty Of Abuse Recently.

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu has repeated that the mandate of the Nigerian Police is to protect citizens, and he has vowed to sack or prosecute any erring officer. The IGP, on Sunday, banned operatives, especially the federal special anti-robbery squad (FSARS), the special tactical squad (STS) and intelligence response team (IRT) from routine patroling, indiscriminate searching of suspects phones, laptops or other devices. His directive was due to the public outrage, over the incessant and indiscriminate killings of young Nigerians. The IGP addressed all heads in the Command, asked the heads of commands and units to compile all abuse of power and violation of rights of citizens by FSARS, SARS, IRT, STS, and other police teams, which happened recently and send to his office on Friday 9th October 2020. According to his statement, “In utter disregard for consistent warnings, previous orders, their professional training, international protocol, constitutional dictates, force policies and ethical standards, these special operatives have continued to drag the Force into acts that pitch us against the citizens that we were engaged, paid and statutorily obligated to serve and protect,” the IGP said. “In order to address these resonating unprofessional conducts, it is directed as follows: Any police personnel that, henceforth, abuses his or her powers in a manner that degrades, endangers or threatens the life and other fundamental rights of the citizens shall be promptly arrested, processed through our internal disciplinary machinery and if found culpable, shall be dismissed from service. In addition, such personnel could be charged to court in consonance with their level of criminal liability in the instance. “The indiscriminate, unauthorised, and degrading search of mobile phones, laptops and other smart electronic devices of citizens by the Special Units and all Police operatives of different Formations, Zones, Commands and Units is hereby banned. The only exception is if such an act is in furtherance to a specific case that has been reported and is a subject of a criminal investigation in specific Formation, Command,[…]

Read more

IPOB Accuse SARS, Police Of Killings!

The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, yesterday raised the alarm over the alleged disappearance and secret killing of its members by the Special Anti Robbery Squad across Biafra States, calling on the Nigerian Federal Government to halt such killings to avoid pushing it to the wall. The group therefore sent a Save Our Soul, SOS, message to the United Kingdom, UK High Commission in Nigeria, Amnesty International in Nigeria, Human Rights Watch, US Embassy in Abuja, Canada, African Union, Commonwealth, European Union, UN Human Rights, and civilised nations across the globe to prevail on the Nigerian government to stop the dastardly and inhuman act. IPOB also alleged that many non members of IPOB were also arrested by SARS and their whereabouts remains unknown, claiming they have been killed by SARS operatives. IPOB in a statement by its Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, therefore, asked the international community to prevail on the Nigerian government to stop the alleged “unabated secret abduction, torture, detention, and killing of our members and non members.” IPOB also drew the attention of the international community and called on the Nigerian Federal Government and the world to beam their search light on SARS in Awkuzu Anambra State, Obigbo in Igweocha Rivers State, as well as Anti kidnapping Squad Police stationed at Enugu Ukwu in Anambra State. IPOB’ s statement read in part: “We, the global family of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, ably led by Mazi Nnamdi Kanu wish to bring to the notice of the international community, the unabated secret abduction, torture, detention and killing of our members by the wicked Nigeria security agents. “These callous beings in security uniform, mainly SARS in Awkuzu Anambra State, Obigbo in Igweocha Rivers State, as well as Anti kidnapping Squad Police, stationed at Enugu Ukwu in Anambra State are at the helm of this atrocity and inhumanity to man. “The Nigeria Police SARS in Awkuzu, Anambra State and Obigbo in Igweocha Rivers State, as well as Anti[…]

Read more

“SARS And Police Brutality Provokes Naira Marley, Wizkid, Davido, Teni And Other Celebrities As Nigerians Demands #EndSarsNow

Due to the viral video that exposed police brutality across Nigeria during the weekend which took place in Ughelli, some celebrities expressed their annoyance towards the ugly act. Rudeboy Psquare on his official tweeter handle said, “Its about time #EndSARS @MBuhari @ProfOsibanjo for how long.  He also added in a video demanding the end of the Special Anti-Rubbery Squad SARS. Wizkid tackled Buhari in a post he wrote on his Official Tweeter Handle which said, “I wish US  President Donald Trump and his wife, Melania, quick and full recovery from Covid-19. Wizkid replied him saying, “Donald Trump is not your business! Old man! Poloce/Sarz killing Nigerian Youth on a daily! Do something! Nothing concern u for America! Face your country!! Davido, on his Official Tweeter Page said, “#endsarsnow!!!! if we all come together as brothers and sisters and also as citizens of this country we can end this nonsense!! Olamide who is also enraged with the ugly act said in a post on his Official Tweeter Page, “Police brutality is sky rocketing by the day and the Nigeria gov. Is not deaf nor blind, they see all the trends and tag along with whichever one they like. You don`t have to like this one to do the right thing. The hashtags are becoming tiring. The people are sick of it. Uche Jumbo Rodriguez who is a popular Nollywood actress wrote on her Official Tweeter Handle, “Not every young person driving a good car is a yahoo boy! Being safe in your country is must. Praying for families who have lost someone due to SARS to get justice. She also added some hashtags like #EndSARS #EndSarsNow #EndSARSbrutality #EndSarsNow Falz also wrote on his Official Tweeter Page, “Make me sick to my stomach that till now, we are still waiting for a single word from our so called “president” to end this menace”. Naira Marley on his Official Tweeter Page said, “Noooooo seriously though..jokes apart… why shoot someone that`s not carrying a[…]

Read more