#EndSARS: DJ Switch remembers terrific experiences during Lekki shooting 

Veteran female disc jockey, DJ Switch, who took a bold step by being live on her Instagram when there was random shooting at the Lekki tollgate, to show the whole world what was happening and at the same time, she gave vital information that would help in investigating the massacre of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate, on Tuesday. DJ Switch said, “Yes, there were soldiers there.  Another thing people are not talking about is that the Police were also there. The SARS people we are talking about also came about 45 minutes after the soldiers left. We were tear-gassed; the tear gas felt like Cotonou pepper mixed with acid. “We would run and come back and the only thing we fought with was our flags. We would sit on the floor; raise our hands up singing the national anthem. That was all we had. They put off the lights, even if there was no power supply on a good day, in that axis, there is always light at the Toll Gate. It was pitch-black.” With teary eyes, DJ Swutch recounted how a boy saved her life but was later shot in the process. “A boy jumped on me and kept shouting, ‘cover her, cover her.’ I did not even understand why he did that. They shot that boy while he was on my back,” she said. In the video, she showed some of the bullets the protester picked up which she referred to as proof. She also showed a bullet that was removed from the lap of one of the victims. She said, “While the soldiers were picking their shells, we were running around picking their shells too because we wanted proof. “The military, they were there on Nigerian soil, killing Nigerian citizens. The police and SARS people came doing the same thing. Aiming and shooting; aiming, they were pointing the guns at us and shooting live bullets. Who takes live bullets to a protest? Who does that?” “To[…]

Read more

Federal Government appeals for understanding, calm nationwide

The Presidency on Wednesday appealed to Nigerians to show understanding with the present regime and remain calm while it tries to implement police reforms. This was contained in a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, titled, ‘President Buhari welcomes establishment of judicial panels of inquiry by 13 states to deliver justice for victims of police brutality’. Few hours after eyewitnesses claimed armed soldiers opened fire on protesting youths at Lekki tollgate area un Lagos State, that was when the call for calm came. Reeling out the steps he claimed have so far been taking to address the demands of the protesters, Adesina wrote, “The Presidency appeals for understanding and calm across the nation, as the implementation of the reforms gathers pace at federal and state levels. “The Presidency wishes to reiterate the full commitment of the Buhari administration to the implementation of lasting police reforms in Nigeria.” He made mention of the states that have done so to include Lagos, Kaduna, Delta, Ekiti, Ogun, Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Plateau, Edo, Nasarawa, Ondo and Akwa Ibom. The statement added, “President Muhammadu Buhari welcomes the promptness of these necessary subnational actions, and reaffirms his commitment to supporting the state governments to ensure that justice is achieved for all victims of police brutality in Nigeria. “Under the Chairmanship of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, the National Economic Council at its meeting on Thursday October 15, 2020 resolved to establish state-level Judicial Panels of Inquiry, to investigate allegations of Police brutality and ensure that all erring personnel are brought to justice. “Prior to that, the President in June 2019 signed a Bill establishing the Police Trust Fund, to mobilize additional funding for the welfare and equipping of the Nigeria Police Force. Accrual of funding into the Fund, as specified in its enabling Act, has commenced. “President Buhari in 2018 approved an increase in police salaries and the police personnel budget has seen a rise from N288bn in the[…]

Read more

Poju Oyemade – How My Wife Was Arrested By SARS Operatives

Pastor Poju Oyamade, the Senior Pastor of the Covenant Christian Centre, Lagos, has narrated the ordeal of his wife in the hands of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police Force(SARS). According to the cleric and moderator of The Platform, an annual conference organised by the church to commemorate Nigeria’s independence on every October 1, his wife, Toyin was arrested and detained by SARS officers in 2019 for “flimsy” reasons. He said while it took “personal recognition” and “social capital” to get Toyin released, some Nigerians who don’t have people of influence to come to their rescue have suffered dehumanising treatments in the hands of SARS officers. This was made known by Poju Oyamade, in a Facebook post on Thursday, he urged the police authorities to strictly penalize SARS officers found guilty of harassing young Nigerians. He wrote, “Let me start with my personal experience with the SARS group also. Sometime last year, I got a call from my wife that she had been arrested and taken to the police station. “I was heading for a service somewhere when I had to rush to where she was. I found what the officer said quite flimsy and to date don’t understand it. “Things were worked out easily because on appearing at the place there was personal recognition as people were greeting me ‘pastor welcome’. “Thinking back, if I didn’t have that social capital, things would have been quite rough. So I do understand what a young person may have to face regularly from such encounters. It can be dehumanising and humiliating not to talk about stories of people who say they were dispossessed of money etc. “The government may have in an unprecedented manner come out to verbally assent to the requests of the movement but what the government needs to realise is what they ask for now is action; definite steps taken to show commitment to their words. “They have been here before they say, they have seen[…]

Read more

#EndSARS: Kanye West Urges Federal Government To Answer Nigerians’ Cries.

In a tweet, Kanye West, a US rapper and a Presidential candidate, has urged the Federal Government to listen to the and grant the demands of the youths protesting against police brutality in the country. Kanye West said, he stood with Nigerians, and urges the brutality of the police to end in Nigeria. In his tweet, he said, “I stand with my Nigerian brothers and sisters to end police brutality, the government must answer to the peoples’ cries #EndPoliceBrutalityinNigeria.” The Protesters who have no intentions of backing off, blocked the highways in Lagos, and has equally demanded that, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), the President addressed them. Though, Adamu Muhammed, the Inspector General of Police had on Sunday declared the dissolution of the FSARS in after widespread protest. The declaration of the dissolution of the FSARS by the Inspector of Police was not honored by the protesters especially those in Lagos and Abuja, as they have vowed to continue with the protest until something meaningful is done concerning the matter at hand.

Read more

Breaking! #EndSARS: Presidential Panel Approves Protesters’ Demand.

The Presidential Panel on the Reform of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad has approved the five-point demands put forward by youths that have been protesting across the country, this was said on Tuesday, by the Presidency. Femi Adesina, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, disclosed this in a statement titled, ‘Presidential panel on police reforms swings into action, plays 5-point demand of protesters.’ Femi Adesina said following directives by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on the dissolution of SARS, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, convened a meeting with stakeholders, agreeing to meet demands. He said the demands agreed to included halting use of force against protesters and unconditional release of arrested citizens. The meeting, organised by the Office of the Inspector General of Police and National Human Rights Commission, was a multi-stakeholders’ forum attended by leaders and representatives of civil society organisations in Nigeria, activists from the entertainment industry and the #EndSARS movement and development partners, according to the Presidential spokesman. He said the Ministry of Police Affairs and Police Service Commission were also present at the meeting that affirmed that the five-point demands of the protesters and the #EndSARS movement are genuine concerns and will be addressed by the government. He quoted a communiqué of the meeting signed by the Inspector General of Police and Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Tony Ojukwu, as, “Following the public protests regarding various forms of human rights violations by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and the consequent disbandment of the unit by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, there arose the need for stakeholder engagement to build trust and restore public confidence in law enforcement. “The agitations also brought to the fore, the need to implement the recommendations of the Presidential Panel on the Reform of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad. “The Forum was addressed by the Inspector General of Police and the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission. “The Forum collectively:[…]

Read more

SARS: Buhari Must Resign Now…Fani- Kayode Tells Nigerians Next Action.

Fani-Kayode, a Former Minister of Aviation, has called for the removal of President Muhammadu Buhari through a similar protest that led to the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS. The former minister, who is also a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, noted that the End-SARS protests represent a watershed in the history of demonstrations in Nigeria. He pointed out that this was the first time in the last 60 years Nigerians had recognised the fact that they can effect change and bring government to its knees by taking to the streets in peaceful protest. Fani-Kayode commended the courage of Nigerians who took it upon themselves to ensure that the government disbanded SARS by protesting but urged “them to not just call for the ending of SARS but also for the resignation of Buhari.” Giving his reasons, the Former Minister said Buhari, as Nigeria’s President, has no value for human life and that innocent Nigerians had been brutally murdered under his watch than at any other time in the history of the country outside of the civil war. For Fani-Kayode, Buhari “has lost his legitimacy and has no right to remain in power.” “#Endsars and #EndPoliceBrutality is just the beginning. #EndBuhari’s rule and the resignation of Buhari and his entire Govt. must be the final destination,” he tweeted. “Many have been killed during this #Endsars demonstrations and they are still being killed. Their blood must not be allowed to have been shed in vain. “Every drop of their blood must count for something and must act as a catalyst to a total change and overhaul of the entire system and a new beginning. It must lead to the end of Buhari’s sheer wickedness and impunity and it must usher in a new Nigeria where mass murder, ethnic cleansing, genocide, police brutality, tribal and religious divisions corruption, nepotism and impunity are things of the past. “Take it or leave it, this may well be the beginning of our own[…]

Read more

Yele Bademos, CEO Bundle’s Narration On How SARS Rubbed Him.

Many victims of the atrocious activities of the Police/SARS unit have been coming out to narrative their unpleasant experiences Yele Bademosi, is one of the victims. he took to his Tweeter Handle @YeleBademosi to narrate how he was abducted, harassed, and threatened last year, in Lekki axis of Lagos while he was on his way home. “On October 2019, I got kidnapped by SARS. I was less than 2 mins from home., they refused to listen to anything I said and took me from Lekki to Ajah then all the way to Ikoyi, whilst stopping and harassing other young adults, I`m not sure how many cars they stopped and rubbed,” he said. Yele Bademosi continued, “They took my phones, wallet, house key, my Apple Watch, they didn’t care about my ID cards and claimed I was a Yahoo Boy because I had messages on telegram with foreigners. They demanded N1m from me, made a “fake” phone call to their commander, and said I would sleep in prison. They stopped at the end of Eko Bridge and demanded more money before leaving me to somewhere on the mainland near the international airport. I don’t keep a lot of Naira on meas I am long Bitcoin, and only had N51,000 in my account, which they asked me to withdraw at a UBA ATM. They forced me to open my US bank accounts and said I should transfer USD from my bank of America account to my GTB account. I cried and prayed because I didn’t know what to do and couldn’t understand why and how this is happening. It ws one of the scariest experiences of my life, he said.” Yele said he thought to himself that these officers could kill him and no one would know about it. all he could do was pray to God to protect and deliver him. He didn’t how his ordeal ended but he strongly agreed on banning SARS.

Read more

IGP To Unit Heads – Compile And Sack Every Officer Found Guilty Of Abuse Recently.

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu has repeated that the mandate of the Nigerian Police is to protect citizens, and he has vowed to sack or prosecute any erring officer. The IGP, on Sunday, banned operatives, especially the federal special anti-robbery squad (FSARS), the special tactical squad (STS) and intelligence response team (IRT) from routine patroling, indiscriminate searching of suspects phones, laptops or other devices. His directive was due to the public outrage, over the incessant and indiscriminate killings of young Nigerians. The IGP addressed all heads in the Command, asked the heads of commands and units to compile all abuse of power and violation of rights of citizens by FSARS, SARS, IRT, STS, and other police teams, which happened recently and send to his office on Friday 9th October 2020. According to his statement, “In utter disregard for consistent warnings, previous orders, their professional training, international protocol, constitutional dictates, force policies and ethical standards, these special operatives have continued to drag the Force into acts that pitch us against the citizens that we were engaged, paid and statutorily obligated to serve and protect,” the IGP said. “In order to address these resonating unprofessional conducts, it is directed as follows: Any police personnel that, henceforth, abuses his or her powers in a manner that degrades, endangers or threatens the life and other fundamental rights of the citizens shall be promptly arrested, processed through our internal disciplinary machinery and if found culpable, shall be dismissed from service. In addition, such personnel could be charged to court in consonance with their level of criminal liability in the instance. “The indiscriminate, unauthorised, and degrading search of mobile phones, laptops and other smart electronic devices of citizens by the Special Units and all Police operatives of different Formations, Zones, Commands and Units is hereby banned. The only exception is if such an act is in furtherance to a specific case that has been reported and is a subject of a criminal investigation in specific Formation, Command,[…]

Read more

Angry Youths Allegedly Seen Fighting A SARS Officer During The End SARS Protest In Edo State.

Due to the ugly incident that happened recently in Ughelli, where a young boy was brutally killed by SARS officers, youths couldn’t bear the intimidation and brutality of the police/SARS officers towards the youths anymore as they patrol in streets, protesting angrily against SARS and asking the government to ban/end SARS completely in Nigeria. According to a popular Instagram user who shared pictures of the angry youths who were seen fighting a SARS officer in Edo state, said that the incident occurred when youths in Edo state were protesting for the end SARS movement.

Read more

IPOB Accuse SARS, Police Of Killings!

The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, yesterday raised the alarm over the alleged disappearance and secret killing of its members by the Special Anti Robbery Squad across Biafra States, calling on the Nigerian Federal Government to halt such killings to avoid pushing it to the wall. The group therefore sent a Save Our Soul, SOS, message to the United Kingdom, UK High Commission in Nigeria, Amnesty International in Nigeria, Human Rights Watch, US Embassy in Abuja, Canada, African Union, Commonwealth, European Union, UN Human Rights, and civilised nations across the globe to prevail on the Nigerian government to stop the dastardly and inhuman act. IPOB also alleged that many non members of IPOB were also arrested by SARS and their whereabouts remains unknown, claiming they have been killed by SARS operatives. IPOB in a statement by its Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, therefore, asked the international community to prevail on the Nigerian government to stop the alleged “unabated secret abduction, torture, detention, and killing of our members and non members.” IPOB also drew the attention of the international community and called on the Nigerian Federal Government and the world to beam their search light on SARS in Awkuzu Anambra State, Obigbo in Igweocha Rivers State, as well as Anti kidnapping Squad Police stationed at Enugu Ukwu in Anambra State. IPOB’ s statement read in part: “We, the global family of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, ably led by Mazi Nnamdi Kanu wish to bring to the notice of the international community, the unabated secret abduction, torture, detention and killing of our members by the wicked Nigeria security agents. “These callous beings in security uniform, mainly SARS in Awkuzu Anambra State, Obigbo in Igweocha Rivers State, as well as Anti kidnapping Squad Police, stationed at Enugu Ukwu in Anambra State are at the helm of this atrocity and inhumanity to man. “The Nigeria Police SARS in Awkuzu, Anambra State and Obigbo in Igweocha Rivers State, as well as Anti[…]

Read more